Held every November at the Kartik Purnima full moon, Pushkar Fair is undoubtedly one of the biggest fairs of its kind. It is a grand spectacle that pulls camels, horses and thousands of cattle. The event pulls locals and foreigners alike from far and beyond. It is visited by lacs of people.
The festival is a potpourri of the vivid cultures and traditions of the colourful state of Rajasthan. Silver bells making melodious jingles, animals walking over the dunes and decked up camels beautify the scene. Not only this, the festival also marks outstanding performances by musicians, dancers and other entertainers signifying the diverse beauty of India. The festival offers you a chance to experience the myriad of colours and traditions of Rajasthan.
The fair this year will be held from October 28th to November to 4th Let us see some of the main reasons why a visit to the vibrant Pushkar fair 2017 is a must.
1. Camels are definitely the main attraction of Pushkar fair. Beautifully dressed and lovingly adorned with clothes and jewellery, these camels are part of races, competition and various shows. The unique Camel beauty contests are a highlight of the fair.
The live-stock is brought from faraway places mostly on foot.
2. Pushkar fair also pulls pilgrims to bathe in the holy waters of the very popular Pushkar Lake. The days around the full moon are considered to be the most auspicious for taking a bath in the lake. A dip in the lake is believed to absolve their sins with the holy waters.
The bathing ghats, fascinating Artis and the temples including the Brahma Temple comprise the main attractions.
3. The animal or bovine shows like camel/ horse decorations & displays.
4. Pushkar fair 2017 is definitely going to be a cultural extravaganza. The city during the Pushkar fair is in a festive and carnival mood. The vibe is truly magical. Musicians, folk dancers, musicians and acrobats lighten up the spirits. Some of the highlights of the festival include temple dancing, arts and crafts bazaar, and folk and classical music.
In the evening, there are music concerts. The likes of Indian Ocean, Prem Joshua, Mohammad Irfan, Harshdeep Kaur, Medieval Punditz have performed at Pushkar Fair in previous editions.
5. Hot Air balloon flights, quad biking, para – motoring, jeep safari and camel safari are some of the other key experiences & adventures.
6. Pushkar is home to some unique cafes and eateries. The busy and bustling market sells traditional attires, handicrafts etc. Some of the famous points include sunset cafe, pink floyd cafe etc. Pushkar is famous for its kachoris, maalpuas & lassi. One can also find camel milk tea.
7. There is a gamut of other interesting activities like Harmony Marathon, Kabaddi, Langri Taang, Dance Contest and football matches. The list of traditional we well as innovative activities at Pushkar Mela is endless. One gets to witness a variety of rural sports like Volleyball and Rassa Kashi at the fare. Sunset Safari at the Dunes is a not-to-miss and promises you a breathtaking experience.
8. Pushkar houses a wide range of accommodation options like hotels, guest houses and also camps. These luxury campsites are away from the hustle and bustle of the city. So it is an excellent option to experience tranquility in the Pushkar countryside
Pushkar is well connected by road through Jaipur and Ajmer. It takes approximately 30 minutes for one to reach Pushkar from Ajmer. There are state owned buses, deluxe Volvos and taxis.
The nearest airport is the Jaipur International Airport located in Jaipur which is 150 kilometer and approximately two and a half hours from Pushkar. Buses and taxis can be used for this part.
The closest major railway station is Ajmer which is approximately 20 km from Pushkar. There is single train link linking Ajmer and Pushkar.